Saturday, January 21, 2006

An Easy Answer

I recently wrote about a problem that I see in the music of some of the newer songs: the verse raises a problem or asks a question that is promptly--and oversimplistically--answered by the refrain. This structure, I believe, is emotionally manipulative. A couple of verses have the affect of assurance; four verses have the effect of deep entrenchment in complacency. This is very dubiously helpful for the spiritual life.

But this is not, in my opinion, a problem limited to the newer songs alone. It is likely to occur in any song that has a refrain that is considerably different from the verse. Some of these songs are old, and some are among my favorites. But because they do not meet the religious requirement of sobriety, I think that we should be restrictive about their use in worship, to the point of avoiding them entirely.

Among them:
  • How Great Thou Art
  • Sweet Sacrament, We Thee Adore

Both of the above have two characteristics. Each verse, preceding the refrain, is melodically and chordically very simple. Also, the melodies are low. The refrains are only slightly more complex in their chordation, but very distinct melodically from the verses.

I'm not explaining this well. But just try singing the verse. Then the refrain. To me, they almost seem like two songs sewn together. And--not insignificantly--the refrains quite literally leave a person breathless. Now interestingly, this is the opposite of the newer songs, in which the verse is complex and difficult, but the refrain is, well, quietistic.

So perhaps the overall effect here is not complacency. But neither is it praise. Perhaps it is akin to joy. My question is, is the joy sober enough for worship?

If no, then what about the venerable hymn Rejoice the Lord Is King?

No comments: