Regarding the public Masses: without going into too much commentary on the actual selections, I will mention that the mostly-modern Washington selections and the mostly-classical New York selections represent fairly accurately The Two Americas: the two very different style selections of liturgical music in the US today. Generally speaking, parishes choose one of these two styles and run with it as best they can. The first has a casual feel and low, from-below theological content. This is represented by(sigh) the Mass that I will be attending, here in Washington. I won't comment too much, although I will quote a colleague who commented ironically, "Great. Let's invite the Supreme Pontiff to America and sing The Mass of Creation." The funny thing is, the irony here expressed by a citizen of America 2 would be completely lost on America 1. For America 1, the Mass of Creation is a no-brainer. Everyone knows it! It's the most popular Mass setting in the United States! Of course we're going to sing the Mass of Creation!
For America 2, a small but increasing minority opinion, considerations of popularity are radically off the subject. Liturgical music should not sound like life on the easy-listening station. It should sound like the angels wouldn't mind singing it. It is from above. It lifts us to its level and lets us soar to God. And its words are true.
That's the music they'll be singing at Yankee Stadium.
This may sound very theoretical, but in practical terms, one very necessary consideration for someone interviewing as a music director or organist at a parish would do well to find out if s/he and the pastor have similar ideas about music. It really helps; this kind of agreement is one of the reasons I'm so happy in my job.
Another consideration ought to be, when you invite the Supreme Pontiff over for a Mass, take a look at his writings on sacred music and try not to directly antagonize his sensibilities, convictions, and pastoral program.
Update: The Archdiocese of Washington has issued a press release giving some details of the music.
Update: The Archdiocese of Washington has issued a press release giving some details of the music.
Update 2: Unfortunately, some of the information I mentioned here was mistaken and has now been deleted.
2 comments:
Kathy, it might be that back East people choose one or another style and let it run. I find it a little in keeping with my assessment that there they tend to be a bit conservative, no matter what style they use. That's usually not the case in the rest of the US where parishes with top-shelf music ministries trend more to an eclectic mix.
Are you going to see the pope?
Todd
Todd,
I think that eclecticism is a bad idea. In DC, where do you find diversity? Where do you find as many ethnicities as there are pews?
The National Shrine, where the music is classical and often enough Latin.
I'll have two chances to see Pope Benedict: as part of the "welcoming crowd" at the Shrine, and at the Mass at National Stadium.
Post a Comment