Sunday, January 18, 2009

How I spend my winter vacation, Part II

A week--a very full week--is impossible to put into words. But perhaps a picture will help:



Still not clear? Maybe some dialogue, then:

-Did you ever ask your choir to draw glasses on their score? Like this. That means, Look at the director.
-Excuse me, but that looks like a rabbit.
-An imaginary rabbit, maybe.
-Wait, what was his name?

If you don't think that's funny, then you probably weren't in the room at the time. It wasn't just funny, it was fast. It was benevolent. And there were many other things going on at the same time, most of them having to do with beautiful, beautiful music.

If I had to sum it all up in one word, it would be "joy."

The other day I had the opportunity to talk with a young man who wants to be a leader in liturgical music. He already is, actually, and he's so young, and so personable and talented, that the sky is the limit. I said to him what I've said to a couple of other people: According to the Bible, we will spend all eternity singing the praises of God. Isn't it a privilege, then, to have as your job!! the responsibility of teaching people to do what they will do forever and ever, before the throne of almighty God and the Lamb?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers please, Ephrem: I start teaching a chant course for beginners tomorrow! My first attempt to teach this stuff after twelve years of singing it. Twenty people have signed up, so we should make plenty of noise, if nothing else!

Hope all is well with you. I'll be in touch properly one of these days.

Kathleen Pluth said...

I'm praying, Ben.

Let me know how it goes, and do drop me a line soon. All the best!